Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Favorite Guy (uncategorizable musician)

How can you not love a skinny, musician who gives concerts in suits and ties and kicks off his shoes on stage before he begins?

I can't believe, among my other favorites, I haven't blogged about my great love of Andrew Bird before now. We discovered him entirely by accident when he opened for Ani DiFranco at a concert in Indianapolis years ago. He plays violin like a mandolin, like a bass, like an electric guitar (and also, well, like a violin). Oh, and he plays electric guitar too. And xylophone. And he whistles. (Yes, I am aware how odd this sounds. You'll have to trust me and check it out).

He plays back loops of his astonishing strummings and pluckings, and layers additional loops on top of that. Then sings on top of that. And whistles.

No comments:

Vegetarian Crafty Garden Travel Foodie Kitty Blog