Monday, October 20, 2008

Dumb Signs

Okay, one of the quirks-- or perhaps a result of my own culture shock-- is odd signs out here on the southwest frontier. Here's a sampling:
While these are certainly not dumb signs, they are also definitely not what I would expect to see at a bathroom break along the highway.

This one's from the same rest stop, and stands in the middle of a grassy field.

This one's actually in Arizona, but I don't doubt its applicability in many places in NM.
And the illustrious THE THING? (WHAT IS IT?) roadside attraction near Texas Canyon, AZ (exit 322 off of I-10). This thing has haunted my imagination ever since I would drive from San Antonio to Northern California for undergrad. I'd see road signs hyping it for hundreds of miles. I think when we moved down here, we saw billboards for it as far as Missouri.

I didn't pay the dollar admission to see THE THING? itself. Sorry. Not my thing.

No comments:

Vegetarian Crafty Garden Travel Foodie Kitty Blog