Saturday, September 5, 2009

Cookin' like it's Winter, part 1

Tried out a new recipe for dinner. I'm really surprised by how delicious this turned out. It didn't sound like something I'd love so much! Zips has recently learned of all the health benefits of sauerkraut (!). So she's been looking for something to make to encourage our eating of the stuff and found this recipe for us. Initially beer-braised seitan with sauerkraut didn't pique my curiosity, but in the spirit of trying new things, I flung myself into the endeavor. The result: absolutely delicious! Even though I had to substitute dark beer for what we had: corona light (I know, I know. Beer drinkers and foodies may cringe over this substitution. We're just not beer people. I may just go out and find something nice and dark to keep in the pantry for the next time I make this. Okay?)
in case you're too lazy to click the hyperlink:

Beer-Braised Seitan (or as Zips has discovered: Vegan Carbonnade a la Flamande)

1/4 c. olive oil (sounds like a lot, but it isn't)
1 onion (diced)
2 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt

Preheat your oven to 300.
Heat the oil and saute the onions with the brown sugar and salt for 10 minutes.

3 c. sauerkraut (this is 1 1/2 cans)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
black pepper
2 bay leaves
1 lb. seitan (diced) (I used 2 8 oz. packages of Trader Joe's Meatless Beef strips)
4 potatoes (diced in large chunks)
2 carrots cut into 1/2" rounds (I used 4. They were skinny)
12 oz. dark beer (or..er.. corona light)
After sauteing the onions, add the sauerkraut, garlic, black pepper, bay leaves, seitan, potato, carrot, and beer. Bring everything to a boil. Remove it from heat and throw it all into a casserole dish to bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until your veggies are tender.
As you can see, Zips approves. This will be even better when it's a little chilly out, and maybe we have some crusty french bread. and some dark beer.

No comments:

Vegetarian Crafty Garden Travel Foodie Kitty Blog