Wednesday, February 9, 2011

New Soup: Zuppa di Zipper

It's the week before payday again and I have the added hitch of having been teaching for 5 weeks now without somehow having been *hired* for one of my classes. So I received only 2/3 of my paycheck and am s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g my resources. In rooting through my pantry, my fridge shelves, and scouring recipes online, I decided to concoct an Italian-ish garbanzo soup that I figured would be high protein, low fat, comforting, and absolutely not costing me a dime. Everyone's really happy with the results, so I give you my

Zuppa di Zipper (Starving Artist Minestrone)


Saute 1/2 diced yellow onion with 1 minced garlic clove in about 1 tsp. veg. oil.
Add
2 medium peeled, diced potatoes
1 qt. vegetable broth
1/2 28 oz. can of whole tomatoes. I squished them in my fingers as I added them to the soup and also added half of the juice from the can.
1 can garbanzo beans (drained, rinsed)
1 carrot, diced
1 rib of celery, diced
1" whole sprig of fresh rosemary
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried thyme

Simmer these for 10-15 min. until the potatoes and carrots are tender. I also added about 1/4 cup of leftover cooked penne pasta noodles that I cut in half. Once these are heated and all the veggies are cooked and the herbs all mingle, you're ready to go. Garnish with fresh parsley, salt and pepper to taste, and maybe toss in a little parmesan cheese. When I do it again, I hope to have some zucchini in the fridge (or breadsticks!), but this will tide me over just fine!

No comments:

Vegetarian Crafty Garden Travel Foodie Kitty Blog