Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Onigiri and Bun Bo Xao Chay

I just got back from a month in Vietnam. Because of jet lag, I've lapsed a bit on my desire to post at least once a month every month, but to make up for it a little, I'm previewing my two newest additions to my recipes: onigiri (Japanese rice balls) that I had in an airport restaurant in Tokyo-- then became a little obsessed with, craving, etc. I discovered they're pretty simple to make.

And Bun Bo Xao Chay-- Bun is vermicelli rice noodles, Bo is beef, Xao is stir-fried, and Chay is vegetarian. Together, they make a fantastic Vietnamese "beef" noodle salad with some vegetarian "steak" strips (it'd work with "chicken" strips or tofu) stir fried with lemongrass and garlic and dressed with some nuoc mam chay.
Recipes are coming soon. And Zips has agreed to post her homemade applesauce recipe and/or her new specialty: homemade refritos. She kept busy in the kitchen in my absence!

No comments:

Vegetarian Crafty Garden Travel Foodie Kitty Blog