Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Back to Getting Crafty

I can't believe it's been more than two solid months since I've posted anything. I'll have to compensate with plenty of fun projects and delicious treats. I've spent most of the today working on holiday decor -- driving past the local garden store to see if Christmas trees are in (they are), if I can have one (not yet), and figuring out how to stave off my desire to put replace orange and autumnal decorations with red and green winter ones. Zips spied a fun project in a Good Housekeeping magazine-- a simple reindeer head made from corrugated cardboard.
cardboard reindeer holiday craft
I'd seen more complicated ones everywhere from Urban Outfitters to instructables.com.

Modern Recycled Cardboard Stag Deer Mount  (Large)
So I decided to come up with my own-- pairing it with Zips' immense love of classic Rankin Bass holiday videos. We have some cardboard boxes and newspapers in the recycling bin, so I made my own template for Rudolph's head, gave him a cross-piece for his ears and muzzle, and his mature antlers (more distinguished!).
I'm thinking of draping a wreath or some evergreen garland around where his neck meets the wall.
I'm happy with the way it turned out, and that I can post it in a rather central location by the front door. Next up? In addition to making Zipper's famously fortified rum balls for the end of the semester party, we're going to try out some spiced rum balls. And maybe something new for Thanksgiving? Mmmmm... Pie? Homegrown Meyer lemon curd? We'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Vegetarian Crafty Garden Travel Foodie Kitty Blog