Wednesday, June 20, 2007

God Bless Grilled Plantains and Pineapple Skewers!

We trotted off to the State Parks of Southern Indiana over the weekend... toting a plethora of things to throw on a grill. We read up on grilling pizza on various foodie blogs, and as pizza is one of Zips' favorite things, I thought I'd give it a whack.

The verdict for grilled pizza is still out for me. The roof of my mouth is still burned from the melted cheese. We used boboli pizza crusts and topped 'em with green bell peppers, black olives, tomatoes, onion, I included pineapple and Yves meatless pepperoni. On the grill with a lid on, everything got good and toasty, but by the time the cheese melted, the bottom of the crust burned ENTIRELY. I never thought I'd ever say this, but I think I put on...(this is difficult to write)... too much cheese.

There. I said it. Maybe it's because we used prepackaged pizza crust. Maybe it's not the type of thing to travel with. Maybe the smell of grilling evokes such an appetite for hot dogs that NOTHING, no matter how tasty, will take its place (we LOVE Yves Good Dog!!). Hot dogs next time.

But I'll tell you what's good. Grilled pineapple and grilled plantains!!! How have I lived this long without eating these every week!?! Here are the pineapples on the grill with the boboli:

We made a marinade/baste for the pineapple that included 1/4 c. honey and a Tbs. of butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon, but I'm not sure it was necessary. The pineapple itself was so sweet and juicy, it would've caramelized itself!

The grilled plantains could've been skewered too, but with all the burned cheese on the grill, I made a packet for them. I cut them into pieces, and dotted with butter, and sprinkled turbinado sugar and cinnamon. After you close up the packet, you can turn the whole lot of them with just a flip of the tongs! They start off orange-ish...

When they're done, they turn a lovely deep yellow...

Zips prefers hers with more cinnamon sugar and a dollop of whipped cream. Despite a scorched mouth, I wolfed mine down so quickly, I can't say I was missing a thing. As Rachel Ray says, Yum-O!!!

No comments:

Vegetarian Crafty Garden Travel Foodie Kitty Blog