Friday, March 26, 2010

Eating around SF

Okay, since it's been too long since I've written here, I'm going to have to catch up, but not chronologically. Since I made my own delicious tofurky roast over the holidays (seriously, it tasted A LOT like Tofurky, only without that wild rice stuffing that I never eat anyway). I have a handful of new cooking adventures since January, but California beckons. And tales of the BEST VEG RESTAURANT EVAR!
We stayed in Oakland, near the 12th st. City Center BART station, and a vegetarian Vietnamese resaturant with this great sign in their window. They were NOT the best veg restaurant ever for either of us. Zips loves pho and theirs had all manner of unidentifiable vegetarian mock meats. I had a slightly better spicy noodle soup, with a smaller quantity of different mock meats. Still weird. They had pretty good goi cuon, though. A tad overpriced. If I had to do it again, I would've just stuck with those and spring rolls or ordered a rice dish.

In the morning we tried another promising-looking cafe (but it doesn't open until 9, that makes it suspect for a breakfast joint to me..)
The Breakroom Cafe has a cute locale and menu board (I'll admit it, I was seduced by their website), but the breakfast bagels we got were just m'kay. I liked the tempeh bacon on mine and the coffee was great, but overall found the place overpriced and underwhelming (not unlike the $8000 art for sale above my head there).
In Berkeley, there were a plethora of restaurants that boasted veg-friendly joints. We decided to go off book and picked Thai House, which I'm sure I ate at in my carnivorous youth. They had a wonderful pumpkin tofu red curry, and a HOT DAMN green papaya salad that you can ask for without fish sauce. I simultaneously salivate and cringe at the memory of that salad
mmmmmm... limey spicey crunchy tangy green papaya salad. Seriously. It made my eyes water.

In the Mission district, there's a charming little place called Herbivore (they have 2 other locations)
It's adorable inside and has a great menu, TONS of options. Zips got a southwest tofu scramble (they are unfortunately in the turmeric school of tofu scrambles) and I got a tempeh burrito...
and vegan donuts.
But that wasn't the best veg restaurant ever, either!

No comments:

Vegetarian Crafty Garden Travel Foodie Kitty Blog