Friday, March 26, 2010

BEST RESTAURANT EVAR!!!

So Zip scolded me throughout the trip (and cussed me out and punched me often) for making her my "budget buddy" and not pampering her with a relaxing vacation. So she made us reservations at Millennium.
Millenium, which is a swanky restaurant attached to the curiously named Best Western Hotel California (you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave...) in downtown SF, is THE BEST VEG RESTAURANT I've ever been to. Ever. ever ever.
Although it's swanky and high-end, I felt totally comfortable eating there (in blue jeans and t shirt no less). The menu was utterly indecipherable but intriguing-- like watching Top Chef contestants explain their concoctions. I had no clue what to expect, so I ordered something Mexican-ish (Oaxacan green corn arepa with mango habanero salsa) that was delicious. ("sour orange and achiote glazed crimini and oyster mushrooms, tofu "chorizo" charred onion, Petaluma bean and espazote ragu, sauteed asparagus")
And Zips opted for this "Hedgehog Mushroom Roulade" with roasted celery root, tofu-meyer lemon "cheese" and walnut filling, apples and cabbage, beluga lentil ragu, citrus and current mostarda.
Now, I realize it's not much to look at, but it was AMAZING. The arepa was tasty, but this was one of the most complex, delicious meals I've ever had. It seriously made me giddy. I know endorphins create a sensation of euphoria. And I enjoy chocolate and other foods a great deal. And I like to think of myself as a fairly well-seasoned, well-traveled foodie. But I've never had such a happy food coma as I did at Millennium. I'm all zingy and lightning-y just thinking about it.

And of course dessert!
Zips got a lemon "cheesecake" with a rosemary huckleberry ice cream (which reminded both of us of the lavender blueberry ice cream we made over the summer), but I was the big winner here, with my Chocolate Almond Midnight:
I have no idea what the top layer is made of, the menu said white chocolate mousse. White chocolate is pretty much my kryptonite. I don't like it. Ever. But every single aspect of this was aaaaammmmaaaaazing. I got teary as my plate got emptier. I've never been so simultaneously euphoric and wistful. sigh. When we go back (and I think we will), we'll HAVE to make reservations. and rent a car.


1 comment:

Mark said...

Everywhere I go I'm on the lookout for great vegetarian restaurants, and you have a bunch of new places on here with great reviews. I can't believe I haven't been to Millennium yet! Soon! I've done Patina in LA, and another five Michelin star place in London whose name escapes me (vegan shrimp were incredible but atmosphere sucked). Can't wait to try some of these recipes, too!

Vegetarian Crafty Garden Travel Foodie Kitty Blog