Thursday, March 31, 2011

Best Veg-Friendly Breakfasts in Chicago!

One of the best places I've ever been to for vegetarian dining is Victory's Banner-- a brightly lit, quaint spot in Roscoe Village in Chicago. Although they're an entirely vegetarian restaurant, they're actually one of the best breakfast places I've been to EVER. They serve breakfast all day (well, they close at 3), and also offer a lunch menu after 11am.
Their website will tell you that the restaurant stands as a "spiritual expression," and that everything they offer, down to the sugar packets, adds to its uplifting atmosphere. And it's all entirely true.
From the lunch menu I've had the Neatloaf Dinner, which is a lovely old-fashioned "meat"loaf and mashed potatoes platter. The gravy alone makes me want to get back in the car to drive across the country to eat there again.But the star attractions are in the breakfast menu. Their scrambled eggs are fresh and fluffy, their grilled potatoes inspired my own breakfast potatoes, and their vegetarian breakfast patties are AMAZING. Really. I can't figure them out. Sage-y and hand-formed. Fried to perfection on the flat top. Here's their breakfast bagel sandwich which offers all 3 at once.
And a side order of the patties on their own.
But what Zips and I return for time and again is their French Toast. I don't know what they do. They are light, airy, sweet-- served with butter laced with peach, and maple syrup. Again, I've used this as my inspiration when I've made French Toast at home, or when I fancy-up some pancake butter with orange zest (a great trick!). I'm just trying to get at how delicious and perfect breakfast at Victory's Banner is.
Look. Even looking at the dining room makes you feel happy.
They also have excellent coffee and chai (spring for the bottomless cup) that they also sell to take home with you. Do it.
Seriously. I'm having withdrawal shakes.

No comments:

Vegetarian Crafty Garden Travel Foodie Kitty Blog