Thursday, March 31, 2011

Other places you MUST get to in Chicago

1. Molly's Cupcakes. On our favorite stretch of N. Clark St. This place is named after a 3rd grade teacher who would always bring cupcakes whenever a student had a birthday.
The place is decked out in a mix of styles: bare, industrial (lots of brown cake and cupcake boxes are stacked against virtually every surface and wall of the place); retro pop (some vintage 70's and 80's lunch boxes are displayed behind the counter); and playful (brightly colored round tables, swingset-inspired seating at one counter, board games you can play with as you eat)
The cupcakes themselves are the real deal. We went twice-- trying out their Blueberry Cheesecake (my favorite of them all!), Peach Cobbler (could have been peachier), Mixed Berry (meh), Tiramisu (delicious, but I actually think mine from Vegan Cupcakes Take over the World is *gasp* better!) and brought home a Cake Batter for the crazy cat-sitter (reportedly it was delicious).
Supercute place. I'd bypass the other gourmet cupcake joints in town since this one's a local original.

2. Dave's Records a couple blocks further up N. Clark St. (see? I told you it was our favorite street!)
They offer an eclectic array of new and old vinyl and even 45's. Go.

3. Europa Books 832 N. State St. A couple blocks off the north end of the Magnificent Mile. Europa Books carries almost exclusively foreign titles, most formidably, French books. From French publishers. In France. Zips loves this place. I just wander quietly through the children's books and pick out Harry Potter books in different languages.
4. Quimby's Bookstore way down on W. North Ave.
It's an independent bookstore that carries TONS of zines, graphic novels, and arty books. In the future, I hope to mass produce my own zine and send it there to sell.
5. Fox & Obel Fancy gourmet grocery. Like Dean & Deluca's Chicago cousin.
This is like a foodie paradise. (Or a foodie hell if you have limited funds and only delayed access to a hotel mini-refrigerator!) In addition to a variety of produce, dry goods, regional honey, deli, (and yes, butcher), they have an amazing array of in-house desserts, bakery goods, candies, olives, cheeses, coffees. Look: Spices!
and Mmmmmm, the dessert case. They used to carry a creme brulee, which I didn't see this time. But their Fruit Tart looks fantastic!
5. La Creperie back on N. Clark. I'm telling you, I should just set up a cot.
So it's located conveniently across the street from one of our favorite movie theatres (Landmark Century Cinema), and tragically a couple doors down from a Borders Bookstore that's closing (*sob*). They offer savory and sweet crepes, both of which we've enjoyed. But most recently, food euphoria was achieved with their Crepe Suzette a la Germain. I think we've ordered this before (Zips is a little obsessed with Grand Marnier), but I don't remember ever having had this delectable orange reduction before. A-mazing.
It brings a tear to my eye now. And looking at this pic makes me want to scour the internet for a recipe to try out on my own. If I have success, believe me, I'll share!

That's it for now. These are some of our favorite haunts, both before we moved to New Mexico, and especially now that we've gone back a couple times for conferences. We still visit these places, and when we do, we feel like we've never left.

No comments:

Vegetarian Crafty Garden Travel Foodie Kitty Blog