Sunday, May 29, 2011

Midnight Baking!

Summer has officially landed. We've had more than one 90 degree day and I've just finished my last official commitment on campus until fall orientation starts again in August. This explains why, at 12:22am I found myself hunkered over my oven waiting for a batch of muffins to rise.

Vegan banana raisin muffins discovered by Zips on stumbleupon (I tell you, it's an addiction!). She happened upon a wonderful vegan foodie blog that I've fallen head over heels for. In any case, "Super Skinny Banana-Pecan Muffins" definitely turned my head. Since we're cutting down on nuts for a bit (something complicated having to do with L-arginines and L-lysines and myelin sheaths), I swapped the pecans for raisins. We're going to have them for breakfast!

Skinny Banana Raisin Muffins (vegan!)

preheat oven to 350

1 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. oats
1/4 c. raw sugar (I just realized while typing this that I forgot to use raw sugar!)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
pinch of salt

Mix these together and in a separate bowl, mix together:

1/3 c. soy milk
1 egg replacer (the original on Crunch & Chew uses flax "eggs," I use ener-g)
2 Tb. veg. oil (the original uses applesauce instead, which I don't have)
1 large overripe banana mashed up (we had 2 medium sized, so I used them both)

mix wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, then add 1/3 c. raisins (or pecans, walnuts, etc) . Spoon into muffin pan and bake 15-20 minutes.

I accidentally spread a bit of veg. margarine onto one and ate the whole thing without chewing. I don't know if I'll even sleep tonight. It smells so good in here. Think I'm crazy? Go make some of these in the middle of the night and see how you do!

No comments:

Vegetarian Crafty Garden Travel Foodie Kitty Blog