Monday, June 6, 2011

Improving on Perfection: Crumble Topping

After the success of the banana raisin muffins, Zips has been on a quest to discover more and even better breakfast recipes. So she found a vegan blueberry muffin that looked healthy-- and they taste healthy. For me they had all qualities that I avoid in baked treats-- they were a bit dense, grainy, not terribly sweet. But these same qualities are why Zips ended up liking them a lot. She agrees they taste healthy, but in a good way. She likes how they smell like whole wheat. I'll spare you the recipe so you go find a better one. But these'll do in a pinch.
So rather than strike off in new territory this morning, I decided to just swap the raisins in last week's banana muffins for blueberries. And to be extra delicious, I decided to look for a crumble topping recipe.

And am I ever glad I did! It's super easy to remember the quantities of the ingredients-- just grab your 1/4 c. measuring cup.

Crumb Topping for muffins (and other things, I'm sure!)

1/4 c. all purpose flour
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. oats
1/4 c. butter (best if kept cold and cut into small pieces)
1 tsp. cinnamon

mix everything together with a fork until clumpy but well incorporated. Then fork pieces over each muffin-- whatever sort of muffins you decide to make.
It made the muffins smell and taste like PIE! I look forward to making more kinds-- I'm thinking of looking up something with apples and raisins. Oh, and despite Zips' love of blueberries, she likes the banana muffins with raisins better. But she loved the crumble!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Mmm, I bet your crumble topping would make any muffin into something really delicious. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your recipe up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/06/sweets-for-saturday-21.html

Vegetarian Crafty Garden Travel Foodie Kitty Blog