Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Buy Roberto's

I was in the grocery store and couldn't resist the pack of tortillas emblazoned with our new town. Good photo. Sucky tortillas (half the package was MOLDING when I opened it). Roberto's is a local restaurant that is also a tortilleria. SUCKY restaurant. Good tortillas. This is pretty suggestive of our new town.

Okay. Things I miss that I'll try not to dwell on:

  • 3 Asian groceries in town
  • Excellent frozen custard drive thru-- if you go, order a Tiger's Blood Old Fashioned Soda. then ship it to me on dry ice!
  • Downtown farmer's market selling with concord grapes, sweet corn, watermelons, etc.
  • Being 2 hours from Chicago
  • Double features at the Lake Shore Drive In movie theatre in Monticello (we saw Kung Fu Panda there before we moved)
  • U-Pick blueberries at Prelock Blueberry Farm (we moved before their season began *sob*)
  • U-Pick strawberries at Pretty Prarie Berry Farm (we picked 27 pounds before we moved)
AND a provisional list of stuff I like here.
  • $0.33 for a gorgeous bunch of cilantro.
  • Our lovely house with my studio in the garage and an immense backyard for the kitties to explore.
  • Being 3 hours drive from my parents
  • The plaza in Mesilla
  • "downtown" "farmer's" market selling neato crafts and southwestern jewelry. I'm developing a thing for turquoise. (They razed the entire downtown mall in the 60's for urban development that never happened. And the farmers here seem to grow chiles and zucchini and the occasional scrawny ear of corn. But they have some neato arts and crafts)
  • All the wildlife in our backyard

Okay. I know it's a sad, short list. I said it was provisional, and I intend to add to it. I'm in driving distance to Roswell, NM, the UFO capital of the US. And Terminator 4 is filming near where my Dad works. And my mom had surgery and I was able to drive up and take care of her for a couple of days on the fly. These are all good things. I'm sure there will be more.

No comments:

Vegetarian Crafty Garden Travel Foodie Kitty Blog