Friday, August 8, 2008

Maybe I'm not a poplar after all...

I admit. I'm a little disappointed. I re-entered my birthday and got a different tree and description each time. I have to say, this first one is the most like me (if I don't say so myself).

In lieu of my usual summertime recipe extravaganza (the house is still a mess, I am still falling over half-empty boxes and doo-dads everywhere) I have a couple of belated foodie related schpiels.

1. On our last trip to Chicago (*sob*), we tried not to revisit too much of our past haunts, refusing to think of it as the last time we go to Oysy Izagaya or Hey Sushi (mmmm....that enchanting and addicting orange (miso?) ginger salad dressing) we tried a mexican joint caled Mamacitas that boasted:
That's the *ahem* Best VEGETARIAN Mexican Food in Chicago. So we went for it. Why not? I stuck with the safest bet-- quesadillas, and Zips sprang for the veggie tacos, soft corn double tortillas festooned with shredded lettuce, carrots, broccoli (?!) and little else. The quesadillas were also stuffed with shredded carrots and broccoli along with the cheese. Both of us had some flavorless orange-ish rice and some runny refritos to accent our meals.Needless to say, I'm POSITIVE Chicago has something better. Someone should steal that sign and relocate it.

2. On a more positive note, one of the first places we ate here in NM together is in an old pony express stop in a charming little town square (Mesilla) called La Posta de Mesilla They're great. Often a little busy with tourists, but the food is excellent, and I can't wait until we start getting paid so I can try out one of their house margaritas. In any case, Zips got the vegetarian sampler that included (from top to bottom of pic) a chile relleno, a folded bean taco, some Mexican slaw, and one of their green chile enchiladas. I got a bean burrito smothered with queso and green chile sauce (I know, it looks more red than green). So far it's more or less the most appealing place for us to satisfy our mex tooth. There's another joint, called El Sombrero that has the BEST veggie tacos. I haven't had a chance to take a photo of them yet, they're always half-gone by the time I think to reach for a camera. Hopefully I'll be able to show you soon. Mexican-style slaw, by the way, seems innocent enough. But once you eat it two or three times, you start understanding that it would, in fact, go very well with nearly everything you eat. I was lucky enough to cobble together a recipe that tastes exactly like La Posta's!

1 comment:

Caterpillar said...

hello i am in love with your blog, partially because it reminds my of my childhood in las cruces but mostly because you are quaint calmness not overdone, pictures of books, and clouds retreating fluidly behind the organs. I enjoy drooling over your food and reading of the exploits of your cat. i just thought i would show my appriciation. robertnantze@yahoo.com

Vegetarian Crafty Garden Travel Foodie Kitty Blog