Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Move is OVER!!

Serendipity: After days of toting boxes down flights of stairs and loading them onto a moving truck, the church next door provided this moment of irony. Check out the reflection of our yellow Penske truck. Really, God? Really?
So we have been moved for a month. In fact, it's a month to the day that we've been out of our beloved apartment in Indiana. Intending to rent a moving truck on July 1, we finished moving out of two third floor apartments (mostly without the use of any elevators, and entirely without any outside assistance at all), and finally got entirely packed and on the road on the 4th of July. We drove out of town at 10pm, desperate to make SOME attempt to leave the state. As we drove into the night, fireworks from the University and those fired off by locals in their subdivisions flew over the highway on both sides. It was like a celebration that our move was finally underway.

I'm so glad it's over. I lost 4 lbs. and developed some serious biceps, triceps, and forearms from this ordeal. And a wheeze. Here's hoping the dry desert air will cure me!

In our last desperate moments when I despaired that we would never get all of our belongings into the truck, I was able to appreciate how lovely our home was, with its arts and crafts built-in bar and cabinets. We so loved the clean white walls, high ceilings, dark wood trim, hardwood floors and beveled glass fixtures. Here Bijoux is doing the last walkthrough. Of course, I'm conveniently forgetting how much of an inferno it is in the summer, although we lived through it with a box a/c in the bedroom, and fans. And I'm willfully leaving out memories of the cast of unsavory neighbors living on the second floor and in the basement. I choose to remember how I would trot down the back steps to get a copy of the Sunday paper on Sunday mornings, and being walking distance to the downtown farmer's market, and discovering our proximity to the Trolley bus stop in March.
Last post I promised the Coldest Pop in Town! and here it is:If you're thirsty, it's in Nashville, In. Although I can't vouch for the coldness of said pop.

We actually made the trip across the country twice. Once to find a place to live, and then the move with the kittens and household. Househunting from 1500 miles away is impossible. But we found a beautiful house for rent with a eucalyptus tree and a rosemary shrub dripping down from the second tier of the backyard. It will be such a luxury to park in an actual garage. Zips made part of it into a workshop for me to work on paintings and crafty projects. There are ledges all over the kitchen to display vintage lunchboxes and for Zips to explore. In short, perfect.

For the real move, Mini was the most miserable, yowling and doing somersaults in her little cage all across the country. Zips did pretty well. She mostly slept and gave me little nose nudges through the bars.I think Mini has all but bounced back. Here Zips keeps an eye on her underneath the eucalyptus.

Next up, I will lament the things I miss most about the Indiana that I never expected to, and attempt to showcase things about this town I find promising.

No comments:

Vegetarian Crafty Garden Travel Foodie Kitty Blog