Thursday, July 29, 2010

Happy Limoncello and Strawberry Syrup!

It's been a week and a half since we parked our lemon rinds in the cool, dark pantry to marinate in a liter of vodka. The rinds did, in fact, lose their color and imbue the clear liquor with a nice yellow tinge (that this photo doesn't quite capture). I did a blind taste test of it against some Toschi lemoncello that we've probably had for too long. Our fresh limoncello was yellower, clearer, and had a lovely floral bouquet, while the Toschi smelled a little turpentine-y.
Ours is so lovely and fragrant and sweet. We ended up with about a liter of infused vodka that we added simple syrup (2 c. water + 3 c. sugar) to. Then strained and filtered into whatever glass receptacle I could find.

And then Zips had the genius idea of making some simple strawberry syrup, following the recipe by Vegan Dad. It was really easy (although we halfed his recipe. Had some leftover strawberries that I had cleaned and parked in the freezer about two weeks ago).
Since I'm a lightweight, Zips knew this would be ideal for sweetening the limoncello for me even more. We've dubbed this Zips Hard Strawberry Limonade!
It's just limoncello + strawberry syrup to taste over ice. MMmmmmm... happy happy strawberry limoncello!

2 comments:

sew said...

Sounds good. Save me some? sew

Sidra Naz said...

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. سيروب مونين

Vegetarian Crafty Garden Travel Foodie Kitty Blog