Monday, August 2, 2010

New Art: Pop Culture Ikons

One of the charming features of the new house we're renting is built-in nichos. We've got one on the front porch, one in the entryway, and one in the back hallway. But we haven't had anything to put into them until now. I've finally completed a project I've had in progress since we lived in our downtown 3rd floor apartment in Indiana. We've kept a running list of our favorite musicians and actors (mostly musicians) past and present, and created our own set of ikons.
The original set were images I had photoshopped to remove the backgrounds and heighten the images. But since I'm finishing this project several years later on a newer computer without photoshop, I did it old school and copied pictures into microsoft word, made them black and white, tweaked the contrast, printed them out, cut each image out, then photocopied them onto watercolor paper.
The rest is just some clever gold and copper paint, acrylics, and a red ballpoint pen.
We had many mutual loves (Jennifer Saunders and Joanna Lumley in Ab Fab, Madonna, Kylie Minogue, Shabana Azmi, George Michael, Margaret Cho), but believe me we also did some serious bargaining (I got Andrew Bird and Bjork; Zips demanded Catherine Deneuve, Marlene Dietrich, Yoko Ono, David Bowie, Marianne Faithfull, Nina Simone, and at one point, Freddie Mercury). We've decided our overflow favorites (younger vintage pop culture loves) will be cherubs instead of icons. We're starting a new list; Zips gets Charlotte Gainsbourg, Lady Gaga, and Daft Punk. So far all I'm getting are the Yeah Yeah Yeahs (and they'll only count as one), and maybe I'll get the use the Lauryn Hill image I made. Yeah, guess which one of us usually buys all the music and movies...?

No comments:

Vegetarian Crafty Garden Travel Foodie Kitty Blog