Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Very Easy Jicama Slaw

After writing out and posting photos of our salsa verde perfecto and guacamole, I've been salivating for a big taco extravaganza. As we were getting produce for dinner, I couldn't resist picking up a jicama, even though I've very rarely eaten it at home (what have I bought, like, one in my life?). Not knowing what exactly I was going to do with it, but positive it would be delicious, I brought it home and started looking for recipes for a jicama slaw. Frankly, they all looked weird (Bobby Flay's includes honey, Emeril uses yogurt!?) or really over-dressed (6 Tb Olive Oil??!). So I decided I'd start with the Mexican slaw recipe I worked out copying one of our favorite local place's slaw, and then modify it from there if it was too boring. It turned out to be delicious as is!
Jicama Slaw

1 jicama (peeled, julienned)
1 carrot (ditto)
1/4 small red cabbage (chopped)
1/2 c. cilantro (chopped)

And for the dressing, whisk together:

3/4 c. rice vinegar
2 Tb. vegetable oil
1 1/2 Tb. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp black pepper

(This dressing is good on just finely sliced green cabbage too. That's our La Posta-style slaw ). Zips is in the kitchen right now slicing avocados. I gotta go!

No comments:

Vegetarian Crafty Garden Travel Foodie Kitty Blog