Monday, June 7, 2010

What's Next? Homemade Vegan Donuts?

After those donuts we had at Herbivore, it's been a new goal to create and perfect our own vegan donuts. Hell, we'd settle for perfected homemade donuts. Especially since we've discovered that the closest gas station to our house has our hallucinogenic narcotic of choice: Krispy Kreme blueberry cake donuts. (**mmmmmm oooooohh** )
I'm trying to wean the household from getting these every couple of weeks by looking for healthier alternatives, which brought me to Vegan Yum Yum's post on baked mini-donuts. Our batter turned out much more liquid than how hers looks, and yes, those are blueberries that I added. Since these are baked (and we don't have a donut pan, but apparently really need one now!), I spooned about 1/4 c. of the batter into each part of a cupcake pan. So our donuts turned out as kind of dense but delicious muffins. I followed her glaze recipe, but then added some lemon juice and zest (since lemon goes really well with blueberries). For my chocolate glaze, I melted about 6oz. of chocolate chips with a dash of brandy (old fondue trick), a dot of vanilla extract, some soy milk, and a tiny dash of vegetable oil (this is a trick to help keep your chocolate glaze shiny that I'm sure I got from some health guru like Paula Deen). They were delicious. Not terribly donut-y, but close enough to get your fix. Did I mention they're vegan?

No comments:

Vegetarian Crafty Garden Travel Foodie Kitty Blog