Tuesday, June 2, 2009

BEST. vegan ICE CREAM RECIPE. EVER

So after making that last batch of Coffee Ice Cream, the motor on our Rival Ice Cream maker died (just died!), and with all these recipes to try out we had to replace it. In honor of our new model (the wooden bucket kind with the hand crank as a backup!), we've just been cranking out (tee hee) ice cream left and right.

Aside from the Vegan Ice Cream blog we discovered, Zips also found an ice cream cookbook I can't wait to get my paws on, Lick It! The base for these ice creams is coconut milk, rather than tofu or soymilk with arrowroot. The recipe for Vanilla was great, and I decided it would be even better if we tricked out with some cookie dough pieces, so I found a nice egg-less ice cream-ready recipe specifically for ice cream that makes the perfect amount and threw them in.

A sidenote: I love cookie dough as much as the next person (maybe more). But wouldn't necessarily say it's my favorite flavor of ice cream. And I'm also not a compulsive ice cream eater. HOWEVER, I've wolfed down a significant share of two batches of this recipe in the past four days. It's really that delicious! I made a batch of mango coconut ice cream at the same time, and do you see me ranting about that?

So:

Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream
Prepare the cookie dough first

2 1/2 Tb. brown sugar
3 Tb. white sugar
2 Tb. margarine (Earth Balance works extremely well, since it has a hard consistency when chilled, a lot like butter)
1/8 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tb. water
1/2 c. flour

Blend all ingredients into a dough (I just used a fork) and add about 1/4 c. chopped semi-sweet chocolate chips or mini chocolate chips. We formed the dough into a log wrapped in wax paper and froze it for about 2 hours.

1 can (14 oz.) coconut milk (full fat, not light)
1 1/4c. soy milk
1/2 c. sugar
1 Tb. vanilla

Blend together all ingredients and throw it into your ice cream maker. Add chunks of the frozen cookie dough in the last 5 minutes of your freezing.

Seriously, I don't even know if I'll ever look up another ice cream recipe. Ever. I'll just keep making this one. (okay, probably not, I'll just make this as a backup in case I don't like whatever else I make) (ps. the mango coconut was fine).

No comments:

Vegetarian Crafty Garden Travel Foodie Kitty Blog