Monday, June 8, 2009

Why Haven't I Ever Tried This Before?

Classes have been out for a month to the day today, and I think we are finally starting to really unwind. We sleep in. We watch bad reality tv. We play video games. We cook dinner and eat outside at least once or twice a week. Last night, instead of doing our usual veggie hot dog and corn on the cob, I decided to try grilling slabs of tofu. I've read about it, and even eaten it, but hadn't ever tried putting tofu directly on the grill. It was AWESOME!
So I just took a block of tofu and pressed it between two plates for about 20 minutes, with paper towels to catch the water and cans of kidney beans to weigh them down. Then I cut the block into 6 equal slices (maybe 3/4 - 1 inches each) and laid them out on dry paper towels to get out more of the moisture. Then I made a teriyaki marinade, whisking together all of this:

1/4 c. soy sauce
1/4 c. mirin
2 Tb. olive oil
1 Tb. sesame oil
2 Tb. rice vineger
1/4 c. brown sugar
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 Tb. ginger, minced

I put the drained tofu slices into a ziploc bag with half of the marinade for about half an hour in the fridge. Then I threw them on the grill with some thickly sliced zucchini, green bell peppers, onion, and carrot slices. Every now and then I would brush everything with the marinade. The tofu cooked for maybe 3 minutes on each side.
It's the first time I brought a bowl of jasmine rice out with the cookout, and it was so successful that Zips wanted it again the next day!

No comments:

Vegetarian Crafty Garden Travel Foodie Kitty Blog