Monday, June 22, 2009

Gyoza From Scratch!

So file this under "Really? that's all I do?" I made some wonton soup last night, but could only salvage half a package of wonton wrappers. So today I had to do something with all the leftover filling I made (tofu, cabbage, carrot, ginger, cilantro, green onion). I found a recipe for gyoza/wonton wrappers that is *literally* 1 c. all purpose flour mixed with 1/2 c. boiling water. Mix into a dough and knead for 5 minutes. That's it. I rolled mine out into a long rope and cut into 1/2 inch pieces, then rolled those out to a 3" or 4" round.
When I had a pile of these, I filled them with my mix and tried both lightly pan-frying, and also steaming them. They were awesome! Probably tasted better than the dried out, freezer burned Nasoya wraps I used last night!

Here they are in their first incarnation as gyoza-- with a little dipping sauce:

And here they are steamed in a broth. I should probably make them a bit smaller for a soup, but they ended up being an entire meal!

No comments:

Vegetarian Crafty Garden Travel Foodie Kitty Blog