Friday, June 26, 2009

Great Vegan Eats in Sedona

So we're back from a short vacation in beautiful Sedona, AZ, where Zips happily discovered a lovely vegan restaurant, D'Lish Very Vegetarian. Since Sedona seems such a hippie, yuppie, tourist-y little town, we weren't surprised to find there were several places to choose from (including a raw cuisine joint called Bliss Cafe that we'll have to find next time), but loved D'Lish so much the evening we arrived, we ate there again the next day!
The first time, I ordered and greatly enjoyed a Retro sandwich (avocado, sprouts, lettuce, tomato, etc) until I tasted Zips' choice, the BLT. Their tempeh bacon was INCREDIBLE, and made me rethink my entire relationship with tempeh. I mean I've tried making breakfast sausage patties with it, found a great recipe for tempeh bourguignon, but rarely fix it-- especially now that we live in a hot climate. Now I can't wait to purchase some again. I can't wait to test a couple of tempeh "bacon" recipes myself. So the next night I got the BLT with an avocado added (best of both sandwiches, too much of a good thing is even better!). Everything seems to come with blue corn chips and a little house salad whose dressing is also DELISH!
And for dessert, we shared a "young Thai coconut"-- which a guy simply whacked at with a large knife to open the top, and offered us straws. The fresh coconut water was excellent, and when we had emptied it, we fought over scraping out and eating the insides. Zips said it is among the most decadent thing we've ever done.



No comments:

Vegetarian Crafty Garden Travel Foodie Kitty Blog